Close Menu

Workers’ Compensation FAQs

After suffering an injury in the workplace, you may feel overwhelmed with figuring out what to do next:  How to find medical care, what to say to your employer, what steps to take to get coverage, etc. Workers’ compensation is a complicated area, and by the time you need to figure it out you are already dealing with the related injury itself.  Below are some of the most frequently asked questions we hear from our clients following a workplace injury. Contact a knowledge Henderson workers’ compensation lawyer with any other questions or for help with a workers’ compensation matter.

What should I do after a workplace accident?

The first step after any accident is to seek medical care if necessary; if the injury is severe, call 911 or otherwise get yourself to an emergency room.  If you are injured on the job, you should notify your employer as soon as possible. Waiting too long to report an injury can lead to your claim being denied.  Even if you are not sure if you are injured, you should still report the accident. Your injury could become noticeable later, and if you properly documented the accident when it occurred, you are more likely to be covered for the injury.  Report any injury as soon as you discover it. Keep a copy of any form or other notification you submit for your records.

How long do I have to wait for workers’ compensation coverage?

There is no waiting period for workers’ compensation coverage.  As soon as you begin your job, you are covered by your company’s workers’ compensation policy.

How long do I have to file a claim?

You have 90 days to file a claim for workers’ compensation from the date of your accident, injury, or diagnosis.  If you first discover the injury or the cause of illness later, you have 90 days from the date of discovery to file your claim.

Does workers’ compensation cover illness or injuries that do not result from an accident?

Workers’ compensation covers injuries and illnesses that are related to your job, even if they are not the result of a workplace accident.  Repetitive motion injuries, illnesses contracted as a result of chemical exposure or other hazardous work environments, and any other malady caused by your job or workplace are fair game for workers’ compensation claims.

Am I covered if the accident was my fault?

Workers’ compensation is meant to cover workplace injury without having to determine who was at fault.  As long as you were performing your workplace duties while you were injured, it does not matter whether it was your fault, your employer’s, or your co-workers.  There are, however, some limitations: If your injury was intentionally self-inflicted, or if you were under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs when you were injured, then you may not receive benefits for your injury.   

How much will I be paid?

In the state of Nevada, you can recover a maximum 66.67% of your average monthly wage.  There is no minimum pay.

How do I file a claim for workers’ compensation?

You begin the process of filing a claim for workers’ compensation by filing the Employee’s Claim for Compensation/Report of Initial Treatment (Form C-4).  Your healthcare provider should give you this form during your first medical visit regarding your injury or illness. You fill out the top portion of the form, your doctor will fill out the rest, and you will both sign the form.

Contact the Henderson Workers’ Compensation Lawyers at David Boehrer Law Firm

The David Boehrer Law Firm in Henderson is customer-oriented, putting service and individual attention at the forefront with every client.  We operate under a contingency fee basis, which means that we only collect a fee from you if our Henderson Workers’ Compensation Lawyers are able to get a settlement.  For more information on how we can help with a Nevada personal injury or workers’ compensation claim, contact our Henderson law office at 702-750-0750.

Share This Page:
David Boehrer Law Firm - 2017 - 2019
Contact Form Tab